The other day, I received this message from a visitor to Writing Tips:
Which is correct? To be used as a caption under a picture.
- The Wright and Hilyer family vacation
- The Wright and Hilyer families vacation
- The Wright’s and Hilyer’s family vacation
- The Wright’s and Hilyer’s families vacation
Here’s my reply
Hi, Susan. Thank you for your question. What to write under the photo depends on the situation.
- If two families, the Wrights and the Hilyers, are vacationing together, I would write “The Wright and Hilyer families’ vacation.”
- If John Wright and Susie Hilyer are married, and she has kept her maiden name, I would write “The Wright and Hilyer family’s vacation.”
- If Wright and Hilyer is the name of a company that offers vacation packages, I would write “The Wright & Hilyer Family Vacation.”